Taking a Break

quitting social media



*starts to hyperventilate*

I'm a self-confessed social media addict. I try to tell myself that it's because I need to be online for my business, or because so many of my friends live overseas, because I enjoy the interaction with my clients and fans or just because I don't want to miss out.


But lately, I've felt like I AM missing out.

I miss writing letters and reading books.

I miss random roadtrips and eating a meal without photographing it first.

I miss catching up for long chats.

I miss playing games.

I miss photographing for fun.

I miss eye contact and dancing in the kitchen and brainstorming.

Most of all, I miss doing nothing.


So, I'm taking a break. Three months without social media: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

I'm not going to lie, guys. I'm seriously freaking out. Can I do it? Will I regret it? Who am I really? What if I turn off all the noise and discover that I don't like the sound of my own voice?

The thing is, I am not anti-social media. I love that it connects friends and family and strangers all around our world. I believe that social media has the power to inspire and educate and I know that it can be an amazing tool for artists and business owners. In fact, I just taught a workshop where I dedicated a good chunk of time singing the praises of Facebook for small business.

And then after that workshop, I listened to this podcast from Photobizx, with Andrew Hellmich interviewing Jeremy and Ash from We are the Parsons and I pretty much cried the whole drive home. They are in the midst of a one-year social media break (yeah, I don't have the balls for that!) Everything that they admitted resonated with me, deep in my soul. They talked about feeling tired creatively, being glued to their screens and absent from life. And then they talked about the relief that they felt when they switched off. Every inch of my being was screaming "I WANT THAT! I NEED THAT! PLEASE, GIVE ME A BREAK!"


[I'M STILL HERE] One of my favourite things about Ragamuffin is the ability to share joy with animal lovers around the world. I don't want to sacrifice that, so I'll still be blogging here (and if I can, I'll have those posts share automatically on Facebook for those of you who prefer to follow me there). I'm hoping that my absence on social media will give me the motivation to dedicate more time here, where I can share real stories rather than being limited to cute one-liners. I love writing, but I struggle to find the time - perhaps this is the push that I've needed?

I will also (along with my fiancé, Johnny) continue to create our video diaries. We started the weekly diaries in April this year, and they have been life-changing. Having fun with my best friend and forcing ourselves to reflect upon and appreciate each day: I think that the video diaries have reminded me the importance of being creative outside my business and taught me to really notice the beauty in the world.

But this isn't a one way street! It never has been for Ragamuffin - so many of you have joined and followed me on my journey, and knowing you brings so much joy to my life. Maybe instead of this being a pause in our relationship, it can be an opportunity for us to truly get to know each other.



When I was 13 years old, I moved across the world and wrote letters to the best friends that I had left behind. We wrote back and forth, sharing our secrets and hopes and dreams. Then Myspace hit town and the letter writing died out. By the time Facebook was around, I hadn't written a letter in years. There is something special about sending and receiving mail, when it is so rare to receive much other than bills and junk in our mailboxes these days. So let's bring back the snail mail! I want to hear your thoughts and your stories, hold tangible notes from your world in my hand. Send me a handwritten letter, a post card, a quick note and I'll be so excited to write back to you!

Caitlin McColl Ragamuffin Pet Photography 86 Francis Street Yarraville, VIC 3013



So, yes. I'm taking a break. Starting right now [12:01AM Monday, 7th September]

I'm taking time to breath and create and live. I'm equally nervous and excited. I'll definitely keep you updated on my progress here on the blog, and through our video diaries. I would love to hear from you: here on the blog, shoot me an email, talk over the phone, write me a letter and even (gasp) we could chat face to face. I'm really looking forward to rediscovering everything that has been going on while I've been staring at my phone. Bring on life!


C+J (53 of 154)




How to play Hide and Seek with your Dog

As we start winding down to Christmas, I try to take less session bookings and I had a rare Sunday off from shooting yesterday. Johnny wasn't working either, so I decided to take advantage and swapped my usual Monday off for Sunday. We wandered up to Yarraville Gardens with Lyra bear to grab some brunch from the food trucks. My friend Wendy (who runs Daisy and Friends, the dog walking/pet minding service) and I have just started to try out living a vegan lifestyle (a long time coming for me, so I'm really excited). Unfortunately most of the veggie options at the food trucks contained mayo or cheese, but Gridiron Grills had a vegan falafel wrap that was delicious (once I picked the pickled radish out!)


We played hide and seek in the sunny gardens, one of Lyra's all-time favourite games. We've been playing this since she was tiny and I really believe it's one of the key reasons that she has such a rocking recall. The lady has been trained that finding us is FUN and she comes running from wherever, whenever. Plus, it's pretty handy to be able to send her off to find her Daddy when we're at home (especially if she's bugging me to play or for dinner, haha!)

How to train Hide & Seek:

1. You need two people to start training - once you've been playing the game for a while and they have a solid sit/stay, then you can play with just one person 2. Both people need a lot of yummy treats 3. Have one person hold back your dog, while the other goes and hides. Start by hiding in the same room (e.g. behind a couch). Later you can move onto hiding in different rooms and more difficult locations (e.g. inside the cupboard downstairs). 4. Start calling your dog. When they come to you, make a HUGE deal and reward with lots of treats, cuddles and happiness. Hold them still, while your partner hides. 5. Your partner calls your dog and again makes a huge deal when your dog comes. 6. Once your furry is consistently and excitedly finding you both in varied locations, it's time to introduce the command "Go find *****" (we use Mummy and Daddy, because anthropomorphism.) 7. Your partner holds your furry in one room, ideally with a sit & stay. Say your command "Go find *****" and release them from their sit/stay with your free command hand signal, if applicable. This time, you don't call your dog. They'll will still be in the mindset that looking for you = rewards and will almost definitely start searching. 8. Repeat vice versa, allowing your partner to hide silently and using the command "Go find *****". 9. This is such a rewarding game that it really only took Lyra a day or so to have it down pat. It satisfies her hunting instincts and I find it genuinely fun to play (so much more so than fetch!) The key to continuing the success is to always make a big deal when your pup finds you. Have fun!!!

(p.s. once they've been playing for a while, it's worth making them sit/stay facing away from the hider. Lyra really does try to sneak a peek!)



Paddy Grows Up

You may have noticed a lack of Paddy posts recently. I've started and stopped writing this too many times to count, mostly because I'm not exactly sure how I feel.
Our not-so-little foster puppy has moved onto his next stage of training for Dogs for Kids with Disabilities. He turned One Year Old this week - how time flies! I miss watching Lyra and Paddy play gleefully for hours and I miss his slow, gentle lean on my knee. But he was never ours to keep and more than missing him, I am excited to see what the future brings for the Padmeister.
His leaving us was actually good timing. So soon after Misty, it feels right to curl up in our little family and rebuild ourselves. If I'm totally honest, I've been clinging (somewhat desperately) to Lyra in the absence of my Moo. I need her and deep down I have to admit that I need to feel needed. With our sidekicks gone, Lyra and I have had a chance to re-connect and become closer than ever.
I'm so happy that we decided to foster Paddy. He brought so much laughter into our home and more importantly, he will change the life of a very deserving child in the future.
Good luck in the next stage of your life, little big one xxx


Misty: Part Four

Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four Misty

On Friday Night she hobbled over from her side of our pillow, where she usually sleeps with her face nuzzled into my hair, and settled into the gap between Johnny and I. On Saturday she stayed in bed all day and we unpacked our boxes around her (pausing/procrastinating frequently to give our littlest girl a cuddle).

That night I sat working on my computer, when I realised I hadn't yet felt that familiar tug on my knee. I can never sit very long on my desk chair before she's there, demanding to be picked up and folded into my lap. I looked around and there she was, curled up in a tight little ball by my feet. Too tired to jump up. Frowning, I scooped her into a cuddle and zipped her up inside my onesie, where I could feel her snores warm against my belly. We're never apart for very long. My little shadow.


She hadn't eaten all day, highly unusual for my Moo. The day before, I suspected that she'd eaten little more than the gravy off the top of her renal food. Concerned, I decided it was time to wake her up and try for dinner.

She took ages to come out of her sleep.

My heart pounded.

She didn't eat.

When she leapt off the table, she stumbled and wobbled on her three feet. My strong, crazy, demanding, funny girl was different today. Suddenly quiet and weak. I sunk to the kitchen floor beside her.

Jane, her wonderful vet, had told us that she would eventually lose her appetite. By now it was midnight on Saturday - much too late to call Jane and the clinic was closed on Sundays. I knew that other patients of Jane's - who also had Kidney Disease - had held off the inevitable with IV fluids. We wondered if there was anything we could do now, at home.

Johnny called the Advanced Vetcare, our nearest emergency centre. They told us there was nothing we could do at home, but we were welcome to bring her in.

My biggest fear was leaving her at the hospital and her never coming home. She's a girl of creature comforts - spoilt to the max. With a veritable wardrobe of knitted jumpers to keep her skinny body warm and a sling so I can carry her around the house (which she dismisses, preferring above all else to be carried inside my pink PH hoodie). The lady who prefers bottled water out of a glass, but will settle for filtered water. Who likes nothing more than to know 110% of attention is on her, ideally proved by myself with one arm supporting her body and the other hand scratching her nose and stroking her eyelids. I never said she wasn't a weirdo.

I had scheduled into my calendar a few hours on Monday to take Misty's portraits. For a pet photographer, I'm terribly lax about photographing my own family. Although I have hundreds and hundreds of snapshots on my phone, I've been meaning to take more "proper" photos of her for months. I knew that the IV drip could take up to 48 hours - Monday might not work.

So, I set up lights and we spend the next couple of hours cuddled up with our girl. Breathing her in and worshipping her the only way I know - by photographing every detail, desperately grasping at pixels that might capture my soul. Her soul. Maybe in the back of my head I was worried that this would be my last chance, but I pushed those thoughts aside.


By 2:30am we are cuddled up on the couch, Misty fast asleep between us and Lyra by my side.


"Should we take her in?"

We can't stand the idea that we might regret not taking her in. I pull on my pink hoodie and she settles herself inside. She fits me perfectly; head nuzzled on my chest, body curled on my stomach and one little paw stretch up to my collar bone. My arm loops around to cradle her, the familiar weight of my other half. We drive in silence.

"You have two options," the vet announces, and my heart soars. There might be an alternative to the IV drip. Maybe something better, something where she won't have to be in the hospital for 2 days. She's the skinniest she's ever been, and the vet softly explains that her loss of appetite and the two times she vomited last night were both due to nausea. She's wobbly on her feet, because her brain is confused. She is irritable and in pain. Her kidneys have finally given up. If there is a second option that will fix her without her having to be miserable and alone for two days, I was ready to take it. The news that my baby girl was hurting was devastating. I would climb to the tallest mountain, walk to the end of the world, if it meant something could fix that.

"....your second option, I really think the kinder option, is euthanasia." 


And just like that, my world comes tumbling, crashing around me. It feels like when you're in the ocean, and you get pulled under by a violent wave and that moment when you can't hear anything but your heartbeat in your ears, your eyelids squeeze tight into blackness and you don't know which way is up or down and the salty water up your nose is burning your throat and maybe you won't ever reach the surface again. Just like that.

I'm not ready, but one real, long, objective look at my girl tells me that she is.

In one year, one month and 13 days Misty has taught me more about patience, love and peace that I could ever hope to learn myself in a lifetime. When she came hobbling into our world, I was on a destructive, downwards spiral of work, work and more work. I didn't know how to stop, I couldn't see that I needed to. My relationship was disintegrating and my health was not far behind. Then there was my Moo, demanding with that funny, loud MAH! of hers that I pay her attention. That I turn away from the computer and take five minutes to appreciate the better things in life. She taught me that there are more important goals that an empty inbox and photoshopping leashes. Every day with her, encouraged me to sit longer in the sunshine, sleep in on the weekend, read beside the fire. She saved me. And she is ready.www.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.au

We say our final goodbyes and thank-yous with my girl curled tightly in my arms. My last headbutt. I kiss her a million times and then she is gone.

It's been 42 hours since she left. Her side of our pillow is empty and I keep thinking that I feel her paw on my knee. Then I remember. My right arm wants to cradle, but there's no one there. I don't know how to be without her. I can only cling to the idea that time will make the sharpness in my chest and the throbbing behind my eyes a little duller.

I knew deep down that this time was coming, but I honestly thought I had longer. I didn't imagine it would hurt like this. I'm not sure that I am ready, but I have to trust that, as usual, she knew more than I.

Thank you to my family for loving my girl like your own and thank you to me friends - online and in life - for laughing with us and putting up with my thousands of Moo-pics. Especially thank you to Jane from Newtown Vet Clinic, Rachel and James from The Mark's Ark and Johnny, my beautiful fiance.  Without you four, I would not and could not have spent the best damn one year, one month and 13 days ever, with my girl. A lifetime of happy, more than I could ever deserve.

And thank you forever to my Misty Moo. I love you.

The End.

Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four

My Secret

I want to tell you my big fat secret.

Okay? *gulps*

I failed big time in 2013. Oh, my business grew faster than I ever imagined and if you look at the books you would congratulate me on such a successful year. But in my determination to achieve all my business goals, I lost track of who I really am.

I couldn't believe that the metaphorical ball had finally started rolling. That feeling had me high on excitement. I poured every minute into my business, leaving no spare seconds for my body, my soul or my family. I am ashamed to admit to the blatant, foolish disregard for my health - surviving on a potent mixture of energy drinks, chocolate bars and 3 hours of sleep. My friends and family begged me to slow down but my own overextension meant that I truly couldn't afford to stop working. I was barely making deadlines as it was. I literally didn't have enough hours in the day, no matter what I tried to cut out.

What I did cut out was all wrong. Mostly I cut time for myself (what?! 2 hours to have my hair done?! Meh, I'll just keep the bird's nest, thanks). I also cut time with my other half, Johnny. The man must have the patience and understanding of a saint, because the most I saw of him last year was when I would briefly glance up from my computer to grunt a thank you for the dinner I was eating at my desk. I'm so ashamed of that. It was unacceptable, but I was so lost in a haze of stress and determination and (importantly) giddy, joyful obsession with my newfound success that I couldn't see what I was doing to my home. Lack of sleep and a screwed up adrenal system had my once rare panic attacks flaring constantly (thank goodness I met my Misty Moo last year) and awful stress-induced psoriasis played even more havoc on my self-esteem and relationship. I felt ready to burst into tears at a moments notice.

I couldn't admit that I was scared and I was losing myself. It was my biggest secret. I tried so hard to paint a positive picture online - rainbows and smiles and puppy dogs. When the clock struck 11:59pm on December 31st, I thought to myself "I don't know if I can do that all again."

So 2014 has been a year of great change for me. I have made it my mission to educate myself about productivity and time management (it's awesome! I have a life again). I have also come to terms with the fact that running your own business means that there will always be more work to do, so the key to maintaining balance lies in creating your own rules and boundaries (still struggling with this one a bit).

Most importantly, I have taken the time to really sit down and re-evaluate my values. Write a manifesto for my life and business.

I've written them down for myself (may I not lose my way again) and because I believe that you, my dear reader, should also know who I am. You may or may not agree but here I am, bare and honest.

x Caitlin


Dog Photo MelbourneMY BELIEFS

Be comfortable in your own skin. Fill your days with whatever and whomever makes you smile.

Time spent with family is worth every second.

Be different. Pet photography with soul.

Practice patience and love genuinely.

A house without animals is not a home.

Celebrate the life and personality of happy dogs for the awesome people who adore them.

Live compassionately and respect our Earth.

Handwritten notes and heartfelt surprises.

Let dogs be dogs. If they roll through mud and splash in water, roll and splash beside them. Embrace joy.

No one will ever love you as unconditionally and perfectly as your dog. Treasure every moment.

Be grateful. 

Misty: Part Three

Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four She was losing weight. The little fat she'd put on when we first adopted her was gone and she was slipping scarily close to her pre-rescue weight. I felt sick in my stomach. It had only been six months and 8 days since we brought Misty home, but I feel like I've known her all my life.

I'm getting teary just thinking about how much I love her right now. I start bawling every time I listen to Ellie Goulding's version of "Your Song" (listen to it here), because it reminds me of her. She's usually in my lap when this happens, but she doesn't seem to mind the tears in her fur. She just cuddles in tighter.

"It's a little bit funny this feeling inside, I'm not one of those who can easily hide. I don't have much money but boy if I did, I'd buy a big house where we both could live.

And you can tell everybody this is your song. It may be quite simple, but now that it's done I hope you don't mind that I put down in words, How wonderful life is while you're in the world"

I'm a naturally anxious person. Combine that with a strong streak of perfectionism, a lifetime of overachievement and an apparent weakness for the word "no" and you can start to understand why every now and then the panic sets in.

Or at least, it used to.

Somehow, she seems to know exactly when I need her. She jumps up onto my knees, then stretches out her little arm so she is clinging to my shoulder. She starts purring and rubbing her face against mine. And just like that - my heart rate slows, my brow unfurrows and I can breathe again.

She has achieved what nobody else (not my family, friends, Johnny nor Lyra) has managed, despite well-meaning efforts. Misty, my Moo-bear, has made me slow down.


It is polycystic kidney disease. A rare genetic condition, the cysts on her kidneys would have started small at birth and have been steadily growing throughout her lifetime. Eventually these cysts cause kidney failure.

Finding out that there is no cure left us devastated. But she's now on a prescription diet and is gaining weight again. Her vet (Dr Jane Miller at Newtown Veterinary Clinic) has been nothing short of amazing in her care and attention of our girl. We will be eternally grateful. I don't know what is going to happen in the future, but my girl is on a path to better health.

Anyway, it's not her time yet. Life is too wonderful while she's in my world.


Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four

Gourmet Pawprints ~ Doggy Day Trips

The afternoon sun shone lazily through the bus window. Lyra was curled up into a tight ball by our feet, thoroughly exhausted from her adventures. I wanted to stay awake to keep taking in the lush Mornington landscape as we drove through the hills. My eyelids were heavier than a great dane, my belly full of good food and even better wine. With a sigh of content, I rested my head on Johnny's shoulder. "Happy Birthday," I whispered. He kissed me on my forehead and I nodded off, dreaming about our wonderful day . . . www.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.au

It had begun 8 hours earlier, when we had met bright and early at Sandridge Beach, an off-leash beach in Port Melbourne. It was Johnny's birthday and I had organised a Gourmet Pawprints Tour to celebrate.

I originally met the business owner Kerry and her furry boy Diesel through Dogs for Kids with Disabilities, an organisation that we both support. Kerry created her business to combine everything that she loved ~ food + wine + travel + dogs. It sounded like a winning formula to me, and I couldn't wait to try out one of her day trips!

I booked the Mornington Peninsula daytrip, an all-inclusive bus tour stopping by three gorgeous wineries with two different dog walks. I have to admit that I'd had my own reservations about piling 10 dogs into one minibus, but it all worked out perfectly. There was enough space for each dog to settle in and find a comfortable spot (some even snagged their own seats!)




Our first stop was Yabby Lake Vineyard. Warm raspberry and white choc muffins and a steaming cuppa for morning tea, then onto the wine tasting (is 10AM too early for wine? Naaaaaahhhh!)


Next stop was Flinders off leash dog beach, our favourite part of the day! The grey clouds parted to reveal a bright blue Spring sky and the dogs had an absolute blast racing through sand and surf as their people strolled along seaside.






www.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.au www.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.au

By the time we got back to the bus our puppies were tired and our stomachs were hungry. Perfect timing for lunch!


A lovely dog carer named Marie looked after the babies while we all spoilt ourselves with a delicious tapas lunch at Green Olive in Red Hill. I was a bit nervous about leaving my girl, but a status update halfway through our meal revealed that all the furries were totally zonked out! Clearly the long beach walk had done just the trick!



Lunch was a great opportunity to chat with all the other doggy people who were on the tour - obviously we were all crazy dog lovers, so everyone had plenty in common. I even met a lady who had been the foster carer for a dog that I had photographed just a few weeks ago - small world huh?! After lunch and more wine, we headed off for a beautiful 1.5km walk through the gum-tree lined roads of Red Hill. At the end, Denny the bus driver met us to take us to our final stop - the Willow Creek Estate.


After more wine tasting, we sat on the sunny lawn outside the cellar doors whilst the dogs had another happy romp. Kerry had even kindly organised a birthday dessert!


www.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.auwww.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.auwww.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.au www.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.au



I can honestly say that I was thoroughly impressed by the whole day. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first booked, but Kerry's enthusiasm and 110% dedication to the experience (right down to the fact that she baked her own cookies for each of the dogs - personalised with their names!) guaranteed a wonderful day.

Thank you so much Kerry and Diesel - we had so much fun and I will definitely be recommending Gourmet Pawprints to all my dog loving friends!



p.s. if anyone is interested in booking a Gourmet Pawprints tour, Kerry's website is here: http://gourmetpawprints.com.au and her facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/gourmetpawprints. These aren't affiliate links, I just genuinely enjoyed the whole experience :)

Misty: Part Two

Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four www.ragamuffinpetphotography.com.au

It's not my place to talk about how Misty came to be at The Mark's Ark. You are more than welcome to visit their rescue page (please don't forget to click "like" while you're there) where you can read more about her history. I'm going to ask you in advance to refrain from any comments about her previous owners ~ I do not know them, nor do I judge them. In fact, in my heart I believe they did the best they could for Misty. Here are the few facts that I will share:

~ Misty is 14 years old ~ Misty came to the rescue with a front leg that had two broken bones, way too skinny and covered in fleas ~ Her leg bones were too small for pins or a plate, so soon after being surrendered, her leg was amputated ~ Misty rocks my socks


rescued cat amputated leg

Misty and I were inseparable from the get go. Every day we spent together, we became closer and closer. Each morning when I awoke, she came running hobbling towards me, squeaking her funny little meow, to demand a cuddle. She draped herself across my body, completely ungraceful and totally at peace. The Queen of Headbutts. She came from all hidden corners of our house when I called out "Misty! Cuddles?" She had a magic ability to dissolve all my stresses and cure all my worries. She filled a hole in my heart, that I had no idea even existed.

We took things at an incredibly slow pace when introducing Misty to Pan, Ava and Lyra. Johnny had agreed to let her stay with us on trial, under the strict proviso that if she didn't get along with our girls, she would have to go. Eeep! Lyra met Misty early on, and was just as perfect as I hoped she would be (perhaps, admittedly, a teeny bit scared, but you all know that my Lyra is a big wuss!)

For the first week she stayed in my office and the girls stayed on the other side of the house. On the second week we let Misty roam our lounge room and kitchen, and the girls could now smell each other under door way. We swapped their beds. On the third week, we opened the door. I held my breath. Would they love each other???

F&%K no!

So, we took a few steps backwards for our step forwards. Danced the cha cha of life. But then came the fourth week. My time was up. They weren't best friends, but I could see that with time and patience we would get there. The question was (the question that had been plaguing my every thought for the past month) would Johnny say the same?

Nervously, I approached him in the kitchen. "What do you think?" I asked.

He raised an eyebrow. "I'm going to need more clues than that."

"About Misty. Do you think she can stay?" I tried to play it cool, after my embarrassingly shameless beg for him to agree to her trial.  I attempted what I thought might be a nonchalant smile (but in reality was probably more similar to a manic grimace). I crossed my fingers behind my back, and then for extra measure crossed my toes in my slippers.

He just laughed. "Is that why you've been so weird? Of course she can stay ~ she's your girl."


Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four

Misty: Part One

Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four I slipped into the front seat, my head spinning a million miles a minute. I turned on the ignition, then off again. Paused. Deep breath in. And promptly burst into tears.

Later I would tell my Johnny, that I hadn't meant to fall in love. "We don't need another cat," he would argue sensibly and I would agree. But I hadn't gone searching, I swear. I was only at the Mark's Ark to photograph their adoption profiles. I've photographed hundreds of rescued furkids. There have been plenty (too many) who were amazing and I've even thought "In another life, I would adopt you!" but I've never felt this way before.

I cried the whole drive home.

I cried because I knew he would say "no" and because I knew he was right. I cried because Pan and Ava were so happy and I knew I shouldn't upset their sweet little lives. I cried because our home isn't that big and we are hoping to move somewhere that will probably be smaller. I cried because we often babysit my parent's two dogs and cat and then the house really isn't big enough. I cried because I knew that there was no good reason to adopt a 14 year old cat except for the fact that she is mine and I am hers and sometimes there just isn't anything you can do about that. 

He said no, of course. To be honest, he was pretty annoyed with me. I begged him and begged him with absolutely zero shame or dignity. I made grand promises and swore that if a trial didn't work out, I would do the sensible thing and bring her back. I didn't sleep at all that night. I'm not sure if I was excited or heartbroken or just plain crazy in love.

Well, he agreed to meet her. I was certain, absolutely 100% positive, that if I could just get him to meet her then he would understand. He would fall in love too and say yes and we would all live happily ever after.

I was wrong and he said no.


We drove away from The Mark's Ark and I couldn't believe it was actually happening. I couldn't believe he didn't see what I saw, didn't feel her soul just swell up and envelop his whole heart. I couldn't believe he was saying no and I had the sickest feeling in my stomach.

"But you don't understand," I whispered, my voice shaking. "Please, I have to be with her."

He looked at me silently for the longest minute of my life. He sighed. And then, he said "Okay."


rescued cat


Part One :: Part Two :: Part Three :: Part Four

Lyra's Project ~ Pet Photographer ~ Style

Hi there! My name is Caitlin and I am a Melbourne Pet Photographer. This year I've joined up with some of my colleagues from the Beautiful Beasties Network (an international group of professional pet photographers) for Project 52, to collectively challenge ourselves and our creativity with a weekly assignment. Every week a different pet photographer chooses a theme, which each person interprets in their own way. The photograph must be taken during that week, and on Friday evening (8pm Aussie time) everyone's blog posts go live. Click the link below to see the next photographer's image and continue around the blog circle until you end up back here - enjoy!


Photo of a dog wearing a tie in Melbourne

Thanks to some frustrating web issues, I've been MIA from the Beautiful Beasties Project 52 for a little over a month now. I have to say I've really missed the project - and I've especially missed my weekly quality time with my gorgeous girl. Back at it now, and this week's theme was style. Lyra bear sneaked her way into her Grandad's closet and picked out her very favourite old tie. Stylish, no? Ok - don't judge her taste in fashion. When you're that damn cute, you don't need to look fashionable :)


Now head on over to the blog of Kathryn Schauer, Westbrook CT Photographer, to see her stylish take on this week's theme. Don't forget to keep on clicking through the links to see everyone in the blog ring.